Thursday 8 December 2011

Not really so remote

I find it amazing how modern technology has completely changed the way that we live and work.

Plymouth Dance is one of many organisations whose staff work remotely. The benefits of this way of working for us are many; within the realistic expectations of each project you can work at any time of the day or night with all your working documents at your finger tips, money is saved in terms of travelling to and from a single place of work and often my concentration span is greater without the distractions of office colleagues!

When meeting representatives from other organisations for the first time I am always asked 'Where is your office?', the answer 'At home' is often a bit of a shock but at home is not the only place that you might find me or my colleagues working. Regularly we hold meetings in key venues across the city centre and can often be found discussing our latest projects in any of Plymouth's venue's cafes. This is also a great way for us to keep connected with what is happening in Plymouth, you never know who you may bump into over a coffee or what latest project they might be planning.

Working remotely has forced me to become more confident in utilising technology to work quickly and efficiently, google cloud connect, google docs, google calendar, dropbox and many more are all part of my daily routine. And although I would never have predicted that I would be involved in a career where I could work from home, the fact that I can wear my slippers whilst answering e-mails makes it particularly worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment